Monday, December 24, 2007

Article on Mindful Breathing

As I was working my way through clearing all the articles on my RSS reader, I came across this gem about developing mindful breathing practices throughout the day (as compared to setting aside blocks of time specifically for meditation).

The article is called 'Finding the Rhythm in your Breath' by Jeannie Marshall, whose articles I've enjoyed in the past.

The technique Jeannie suggests is very similar to what I'm doing in many of my post-workout park meditations (although sometimes I don't limit myself to just focussing on my breath, and let myself notice environmental stimuli as well; other times I deliberately narrow my focus down to my breath)

How does this technique work for you? Is it something you can bring into your everyday life, or are you more comfortable blocking out specific sessions of 'meditation time'? Or, like me, do you find a combination of both types of mindfulness works in your practice?

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Blessings; and whichever holidays you celebrate at this time of year, may they bring peace and fulfilment.


Starfire

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,i am trying this conscious breathing for past some years,& i've been huuuugly benefited by this.i think there are 2 reasons for it' s success.1)may be brain gets more oxygen & more energy.2)simply we get concious of ourselves,our habbits.& yes wondering of mind is i think human.

Starfire said...

Heya Mohinish - thanks for your thoughts!

Yes, I think you're probably right that at least part of the benefit of mindful breathing is taking in more oxygen.

But yeah, I know that at least for myself, becoming more conscious of my breathing helps in becoming more conscious of what I'm doing moment-to-moment in my habits.

Blessings, and thanks again for commenting


Starfire